Just East of North
Antiochians gather on the main lawn in this undated photograph, likely taken in the late 1940s. Call it a freshman mixer, perhaps, given the presence of so many name tags. North Hall, as yet untouched by the fire that would destroy its historic interior in February 1953, is clad in the ivy that was once a ubiquitous feature of the campus. At right through the trees can be seen the “Quonseteria,” a temporary dining hall replaced by the Student Union in 1957 and fashioned from a prefabricated military surplus building known as a Quonset hut. Not yet seen in the background is Corry Hall (renovated in 1992 and renamed for Evan R. Spalt ‘36), built using the then revolutionary “lift-slab” construction method and completed in 1955.
— Scott Sanders, College Archivist